Improving School Health and Wellness in Prince George’s County Public Schools, Maryland
(June – August 2014)
Through a contract with Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS), The Center for Health and Health Care in Schools at the Milken Institute School of Public Health at The George Washington University conducted a needs assessment of student and staff health. Specifically, the goals of the assessment were to:
- Identify the major health issues affecting the student and staff populations;
- Identify the prevalence of common behavioral and physical health outcomes;
- Describe how the major the major health issues and outcomes are distributed;
- Identify key opportunities to improve these health issues and outcomes;
- Describe the key components of a strategy for student and staff health across the county.
The assessment included multiple components including:
- A review of literature, both peer-reviewed journal articles and professional reports
- Secondary data analysis of existing county and state-level indicators
- Secondary data analysis of school health room reports from the 2012-2013 academic year
- Review of annual health utilization and cost data from PGCPS health insurance payer of care
- Primary data collection and analysis from a school nurse survey
- Primary qualitative data from informational interviews with experts in local and state-level school health
For more information, technical assistance, or consulting, please contact us.